It’s no surprise that January is National Soup Month. Most of our nation experiences cold weather during January, and having a bowl of soup for dinner is a good way to warm up. That goes for book clubs too. This recipe has been a hit at my neighborhood functions, where we have soup parties every year, and it’s a good one for book clubs too.
Chicken, Potato, Artichoke Soup
- 1 lb. boned, skinned chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. each salt and freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. capers, drained
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-in cubes
- 2 8-oz. pkgs. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered, or 2 15-oz. cans, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup pitted medium green olives
Cut each chicken thigh into 2 or 3 chunks. Add flour, salt, and pepper to a plastic, resealable bag and shake to mix. Add chicken thighs, seal, and shake until chicken pieces are well coated.
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat for abut a minute. Carefully take chicken from bag and place in the pot in a single layer. Discard excess flour in the bag. Cook until chicken pieces are brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Working over medium heat stir in garlic, capers, and lemon zest and cook about 30 seconds. Add dry white wine and simmer until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir to scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan. Add broth, water, potatoes, and chicken and return to a simmer. Turn heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Add artichokes to pot and stir to incorporate in. Cover and cook another 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with fork. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, and olives. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed according to your own taste.
This hearty soup is great served with crispy French bread and a green salad.