Favorite authors are those who inspire you to read everything they’ve written. You anxiously await new works they publish and decide you want to own their books permanently in your personal library.
Often, books we read in our book clubs don’t live up to our expectations, so finding one that inspires us to read more by the author is exciting. With that in mind, I’ve created a new list of Favorite Authors for mother daughter book clubs to explore.
And here’s an idea for your meeting: have each mother daughter team pick a different book by the same author to read and see if your discussion brings insight about the writer as well as what he’s written. Or split the group in two and read two books by the same author. Instead of focusing discussion on characters, you can talk about messages and themes in the books and delve a little more deeply into what you think the author is trying to say with his work.
Here’s a list of some of our favorite authors and books they’ve written to get you started:
- Richard Peck: A Long Way from Chicago, A Year Down Yonder, Fair Weather, The Teacher’s Funeral
- Sharon Creech: Bloomability, Chasing Redbird, Granny Torrelli Makes Soup
- Kate DiCamillo: Because of Winn Dixie, The Tale of Despereaux
- Frank Cottrell Boyce: Millions, Framed, Cosmic
- Cornelia Funke: The Thief Lord, Inkheart, Inkspell, Dragon Rider
- Roald Dahl: Boy, Going Solo, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, The BFG, Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Paula Danziger: P.S. Longer Letter Later, Remember Me to Harold Square
- Meg Cabot: The Princess Diaries series
- Susan Fletcher: Alphabet of Dreams, Shadow Spinner, Walk Across the Sea, Dragon Chronicles series
- Jennifer Holm: Our Only May Amelia, Boston Jane
Check the reviews category here to read more about many of these books. And don’t forget to send in your comments so I can add your favorite authors to the list.