Mother-daughter book club mom Tamie Osterloh from Council Bluffs, Iowa, recently wrote in to share ideas for activities her group has paired with books they have read. Tamie’s club started just two years ago this month, and they have been on the go since. Here are some of the books they have read along with activities they’ve done to go along with the book:
- Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer—we went to the rink and went roller skating together.
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett—we visited the botanical garden in town.
- Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt—we went on a nature hike and had a sunset picnic together.
- Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists–Mary Cassatt by Mike Venezia—we visited the art museum in town to see one of Mary’s paintings.
- Hatchet by Gary Paulsen—together we met for a bike ride on the bike trail close to our house (which is a converted rail road line and isolated).
- Yankee Doodle Gals by Amy Nathan and Eileen Collins—we toured the Strategic Air Command (SAC) museum and the girls got to ride on a flight simulator.
- Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates by Mary Dodge—we all plan to meet at the end of this month to ice skate together.
Thanks Tamie for sending in your great suggestions.